Wednesday 23 January 2013

What a rip off!

My last post somewhat extoled the virtues of Pizza Express,  my opinion after a trip tonight had completely changed.

Like most restaurants at this time of year, Pizza Express seem keen for your custom and roll out numerous tempting offers.   One of their current ones is 40% off food.  Well, who could resist an offer like that?  Mark and I couldn't,  and went along to the St Mary's Butts branch.

As seems to always be the case, I had to squeeze into the tiniest corner of the room to reach our table.  Before we had even removed our coats we were asked for our drinks order, I would prefer to at least have a chance to look at the menu before I decide what to drink!

At this point, Mark showed the Maitre'd our 40% voucher, we ordered drinks and stared for ages at the menu.   I considered having my Pollo Pesto again, but thought it would be better to go for something more expensive as I would get a 40% reduction.   So, that meant I should have the £12.95  Calzone, the filling looked enticing!

Mark agreed with my choice, and he too went for the Calzone.

We both had our usual starters of dough balls for me and polpette for Mark.

I decided against having a pudding,  two lots of dough was quite enough for me.

We asked for the bill, and presented our voucher to the waitress.   But, the bill was not what we were expecting - the discount had not been applied to the calzones.  Mark queried this, and the waitress had a look at the voucher, and on it ; in the tiniest print were the words 'offer excludes calzone'.

She went away to speak to the Manager,  and we had expected him to come and maybe offer us a coffee; but all he said was that 'we couldn't use the offer on calzone'.

Now, why; oh why did the waiter who took our original order not say to us then that Calzone were excluded?? Why did the voucher have the tiniest small print you have ever seen?

Whatever the answer, we both know that we will NOT be returning to Pizza Express.

My score out of 5

Would be 0. Utter con, don't bother with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment