Thursday 10 January 2013

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7” white.

I have been a Kindle owner for about a year and a half, and have become very attached to it. But had become increasingly attracted to the idea of buying a tablet; however I was not prepared to pay the extortionate price for an I pad.  It was time to look at alternatives.
Last year I purchased a Gemini Joytab, 8 inch; which was basically a pile of rubbish.  So, after having sold that I was certainly not willing to buy one of the cheaper tablets on the market. 
My search for a new tablet started at the time the Amazon Kindle Fire came out on the market.  I did seriously consider buying it, but was not happy at the fact you could not use the BBC I Player on it, and that the amount of apps available was limited.
This narrowed my search down to two choices – the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Google Nexus.  Both being about the same price.  The reviews of both were pretty similar, and to be fair I think the Nexus has a better battery life.   At the time of purchase (December 2012) Samsung had a £30 cash back offer on the 7” tablet – meaning that the initial cost was £158, but this became £128 after cash back.  To me, that was a done deal – the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7” it was!
I reserved my new tablet from Argos, and waited a couple of days for it to be delivered.
I finally collected it on 21st December. 
What’s in the box?
The tablet comes in a white cardboard box, and at first glance it looked small – but then I suppose it would be, particularly as its 7” in size.  Lift the lid, and the protective covering and you are presented with the lovely neat, slim looking tablet.  It is covered in a plastic film to save the screen from knocks and scratches.  There is a charger too, (which is not provided with the Kindle!).  Assemble the charger and plug your tablet into charge for a few hours.
To switch it on, press the switch on the right hand side, and wait for the little tune to be played whilst it starts up.  If you have the Wi-Fi version, it should automatically link up to your own network.  This means you can now start surfing!
As this is an android tablet, you need to create a Google account in order to download any apps.  This is not too great a challenge (even for me) and in no time at all you are ready to go.
Of course, my first app to download was the Kindle.  Now I am able to access all the books I had on my old device.
Watching TV/films on it is a dream, as the picture quality is HD.  I understand that you can also use it as a phone, but I am yet to work that one out.
My score out of 5:
Would be 6!  I know that isn’t strictly allowed, but it’s brilliant.


No comments:

Post a Comment