Saturday 19 January 2013

Pizza Express.

Just back from a trip to the cinema to see Les Miserables, which was a very good film.  Before that, we decided to have  a meal out at Pizza Express.

This is a chain restaurant,  which advertises that it first started out in 1965.  It basically does what it says on the tin, and mainly offers pizzas.  Unfortunately for me, I am not a pizza fan, so everytime I visit, tend to opt for the pasta.

They are currently offering a number of deals, including 3 courses for  £12.95 at the weekend.  This seemed appealing to us, so I trawled through various web sites on my mobile, trying to track down the elusive offer code.  Typically, I was unable to find it so we had to pay full price for the a la carte menu.

As a starter,  I chose the dough balls. I know that seems boring when you can have something as spicy as the polpette (meatballs), but I always like them and particularly the accompanying garlic butter. Mark of course ordered the meatballs, which he did enjoy; but complained that they were on the spicy side.

My main dish was chicken and pasta, (pollo pesto). A really lovely dish, with just the right combination of mushrooms and onions. It was served straight from the oven, in a piping hot dish.

Mark went for his favourite,  which was Pizza, and enjoyed it,

It was now that I was glad we weren't having the offer, because the only desserts you can choose with that were either cheesecake or chocolate cake.   I am not a fan of either.  I had a dolcette. This was a small serving of semi freddo,  and a cup of coffee,  the two costing £3.95.  Believe it or not, this was my first experience of semi freddo,  and I truly enjoyed it. Mark had a tiramisu,  which I helped him finish.   That too was good,  but could have benefitted from a bit more alcohol.

Overall the meal was good, the staff were ok, I found them just a bit too attentive to start with. After that, they drifted away rather too much.

My score out of 5

Would be 4, a good meal, but nothing special.

Www.pizzaexpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment