Tuesday 8 January 2013

Waitrose Essential Camembert.

I really enjoy my cheese, and whilst on my latest shopping trip to Waitrose; decided to sample the delights of their Camembert from the Essential range.
Being a fan of practically any type of cheese (except for goat's cheese), I was keen to try this one out.
It comes in a rather unassuming round white box, and doesn't really catch the eye as much as it's rivals.  I think most of the French produced brands seem to come in a red box, with white lettering on them.
The top of the box slides off to reveal a greaseproof paper wrapped circle of cheese.  It's my understanding that to be a really excellent cheese, it needs to be quite runny - this however is quite solid and bears more than a passing resemblance to brie.
Unwrapping your cheesy parcel releases a gorgeous aroma.  Slightly potent, but not too bad.  (I have encountered much worse!).  Slice your cheese with a relatively sharp knife, and as you lift it out of the box, you will notice the golden middle.  I find it just right to spread on a slice of bread or to enjoy it with a cheese cracker.
My score out of 5
Would be 3 - it's OK, but probably worth spending a bit more than the cost of £1.75 and buying yourself a better quality cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment