Tuesday 11 December 2012

The Quince Tree, Stonor, nr Henley on Thames, Oxon.



In my opinion, there is nothing bad to say about this place!  The perfect shop, restaurant and pub.
Most of my friends and family will be aware that there is nothing I like more than a good cup of tea, and a nice cake!  When my Mum started to mention to me about a new tea shop that had opened in Stonor, I began to take notice and became keen to visit it myself.
What is the The Quince Tree?  Well, as mentioned above, it is a pub, restaurant, cafe and deli all under the one roof. 
I visited it for the first time last Wednesday. 
As Stonor is some way out in the country (approx 2 miles from Henley on Thames) it is more than likely that you will be arriving by car.  There is ample car parking, although be careful if visiting in the winter as the car park does get rather slippery and icy.
The large glass fronted building is accessed directly from the car park.  Upon entering, you are greeted by a wonderful smell of fresh bread, cakes and deli produce.  To your left you will see the deli counter, offering tempting morsels.  It took me quite some time to decide that I must try their sausage rolls.  Lovely pork and cranberry stuffing enrobed in a light flaky pastry.  Even more delightful when heated in the oven for a few minutes.
The vegetable counter is next to the deli area, and again offers a lovely variety of fruit and veg.  I was particularly taken by the mini pineapples, perfect miniature versions of the full sized ones.
The bread display was equally as tempting, although I did think that the price of an ordinary loaf was quite high.  But, as there does seem to be a trend these days for ‘posh bread’ I suppose it doesn’t surprise me.
The treats don’t stop there; you are also offered a wide range of jams, preserves, biscuits, butter, eggs, cooking ingredients..... Basically everything you could possibly want. 
It did remind me somewhat of Harrods Food Hall, as it is clearly aimed at those with a more than a few pounds to spend.  I don’t think my pocket could cope with shopping there on a regular basis!
We then moved on into the cafe/restaurant.  Tables and a kitchen arranged at the other end of the building.  The upstairs mezzanine offering more comfortable seating.
You are greeted by a cake display as you pass by to your table.  I choose a chocolate biscuit, and my Mum opted for the meringue; which was served with jam and delicious clotted cream!! 
We accompanied these with a pot of tea.   If you fancy something a bit more filling, there is a wide variety of hot food available.
Oh yes, and I forgot to mention for those of you looking to buy a gift for a loved one – there is plenty to choose from.
My score :-
Out of 5 would be 5.  Just perfect to me, no complaints whatsoever!
To take a look for yourself, visit their website:-

www.thequincetree.com.

Delicatessen

No comments:

Post a Comment